Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Only Time Will Tell

I knew going back to school would have an impact on my time… It’s sort of a given… What I was unprepared for was what that lack of time would mean to my relationships…

Making school a priority means that other things slip in terms of the attention that you give them… That’s not say that school is the only priority but for me the balance has shifted in my life until May 2012… And I’m ok with that…

You make tradeoffs that come with consequences… These can be positive or negative… I am hopeful that the positive outweighs the negative at the end of the day… I know for me even when school is enough to send me into a fetal position (literally or figuratively) I wouldn’t change my decision for anything... I've learned too much both…

Given the time that school requires, I find myself missing time spent with friends… I have missed more weddings, parties and important life events than I would care to but even more striking are the little life moments I miss… the time I used to have to pick up the phone and just spend an hour catching up with what is happening in people’s lives… the “hey, let’s get a cocktail” moments (which let’s be honest I still make time for but it’s just different…)

Some people get it… Others have a harder time… I guess for me it’s just important that the people who I care about know that just because I can’t always be there in person or on the phone, it doesn’t mean that I don’t miss them or want to know how they are… If I hurt your feelings because I’m not who I have always been, it’s not intentional… it’s just how things are… It’s not that I don’t want to spend time with you… It’s not that you mean any less to me… I can only hope in the interim, I don’t come to mean less to you…

Someone once said that friends are the family we choose. I believe this. And am thankful for that family every day.


No comments: